top of page





They is but little information about the life and times of Samuel L. Doherty



was born on June 23, 1832, in West Feliciana, Louisiana, USA, and died on April 24, 1916, in Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo Province, Brazil.  On May 9, 1853, in Iberville, Louisiana, USA, he married Minerva Ann Hornsby.

NameS. L. Doherty


Regiment State/OriginLouisiana

Regiment2nd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry

Company I

Rank InPrivate

Rank OutPrivate

Alternate Name  S. L./Dougherty

Film NumberM378 roll 8

Samuel Lumm Doherty


BIRTH 23 JUN 1832 • West Feliciana,

Louisiana, USA

DEATH 24 APR 1916 • Sao Paulo, Sao

Paulo, Brazil

Married:  9 May 1853 • Iberville,

Louisiana, USA

Minerva Ann Hornsby


BIRTH 9 MAY 1837 • Baton Rouge, East

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

DEATH 21 JUN 1915 • Sao Paulo, Sao

Paulo, Brazil

Daughter of Leonard K. Hornsby and

Mary Duke



W. W. Doherty


BIRTH 1860 • Louisiana

DEATH Unknown

No further information


Katherine Keep Doherty


BIRTH 12 FEB 1868 • Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

DEATH 29 MAY 1957 • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


William Violette Freligh


BIRTH 24 MAY 1858 • Memphis, Shelby, Tennessee, USA

DEATH BEF 1930 • Rio De Janerio, Brazil

Son of Cofederados, John Henry Freligh and Susan Rebecca Ruland
























C K Doherty 1.jpg
C K Doherty 2.jpg
Sam Doherty 1.jpg

For details on the FRELIGH Family




Katherine Doherty "Katie" Freligh


BIRTH 1 AUG 1899 • São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil

DEATH 1986

Married:  17 Oct 1944 • Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

William Eric Knefeli

Son of Wilhelm and Eva Knefeli  

Katie traveled to the United States in 1960. 

Her occupation in Brazil was as a stenographer.

No further information


Charles Doherty Freligh


BIRTH 10 FEB 1901 • Belo Horizonte, Brazil

DEATH 2 JAN 1990 • Pinehurst, Moore, North Carolina, USA

He was married in Brazil 1n 1926, but apparently, that marriage did not last as he set sail for America, listed as single.  He married secondly after 1935 and before 1940.

He worked for the Brazilian Embassy.  He arrived on May 25, 1933, in New York from Brazil.

Married 1st:  23 Mar 1926 • Hameda Cleveland No 5, São Paulo, Brazil

No children listed for either marriage.

Hermengarda O Rodrigues


BIRTH ABT 1903 • Jundiahy, Brazil

DEATH 10 JAN 1988 • Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Daughter of Henrique Rodrigues and Herminia de Oliveira

Married 2nd:

Yolanda Nazzani

BIRTH 21 NOV 1905 • London, England

DEATH 10 APR 1973 • Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Died of lung cancer

Daughter of Joseph and Filomena Nazzani

Arrived in New York on January 10, 1935.  On the ship manifest (Bremen), Charles Freligh is listed as a cousin? 


Ignez Freligh


BIRTH 24 JUNE 1902 • Bello Horizonte,


DEATH ABT 15 APRIL 1977 • Rio de

Janeiro, Brazil

Married:  16 Jun 1923 • Rio de

Janeiro, Brazil

John Vass Fisher


BIRTH 21 MAR 1886 • Leuchars,


DEATH 12 JAN 1931 • Buchanan,

Missouri, USA

Son of Alexander Fisher and Catherine Vass

John  was  born in  Scotland and  relocated  to  the  United  States,

living in  Chicago.   He  arrived in 1909  and  lived there until 1920

when  he  was  relocated  to Sao  Paulo,  Brazil.  He  had  become a

naturalized American citizen in 1917,  in Chicago.   It was in Brazil

 that he met and married Ignez Freligh.  He was listed as an engineer

with the  Armor  Packing  Company.    The couple would then  leave

Brazil and were in New York where their only child, a son, Malcolm,

was born in 1928.  Shortly thereafter,  Ignez and Malcolm were back

in Brazil. as we have the arriving back in New York in 1930.  In 1931,

John V. Fisher was shot and killed in Missouri.


Ignez passed away in  Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1977


St. Joseph News-Press/Gazette,  Fri. Jan. 16, 1931  page 7


Victim, as Efficiency Expert, Caused 45 Armour Employees to Lose Jobs

Death May Have Been Result of Murder Plot

Packing Plant Master Mechanic Was to Have Moved On to St.Louis,

Police today discounted the belief that John Fisher, master mechanic of Armour & Co., was fatally shot Saturday night by a holdup man.  The officers are now working on the theory that it was a well-planned murder.

The new clew was learned today when officers of the packing plant revealed that although Fisher was known as a master mechanic, he really was an efficiency expert.  He had been working in this city for about three months.

Forty-Five Lost Their Jobs.

Police detectives admitted that Armour officials revealed today that nearly forty-five men had lost their jobs through Fisher's work in closing various departments.  Officers now think that the slayer possibly was a former employee, seeking revenge for losing his job.

Fisher, who was rooming at 418 North Seventh street, had just stopped his motor car in front of the home of his companion, Miss Minnie Wenda, 110 South Twelfth street when a young man stepped to the side of the car.

Drawing a gun he commanded of Fisher "Get out." Fisher responded and the youth started searching for his victim.  A car approached and the youth stepped back from the street.  When the machine had passed he again made a quick search of Fisher but took nothing.  Officers say at no time did the youth ask for Fisher's money or watch.

Died Monday Night

"Now I've got you," he said to Fisher as he backed away ten paces.  Slowly raising the pistol he took aim and fired, the bullet striking Fisher in the right shoulder, passing through the body and lodging in the left shoulder,  The assailant walked away.  Fisher was taken to the Missouri Methodist Hospital, where he died Monday night.

Police detectives today questioned various officials at Armour's as well as Miss Wens, but would not disclose any information they had gained.  It was first believed the youth was a holdup man as he searched Fisher but police now hold the belief he was making sure the victim wasn't armed.

Fisher had been employed as an efficiency man for Armour & Co. sometime, going from one plant to another.  He was scheduled to leave soon for St. Louis, officers say.









                Malcolm Douglas Fisher


                     BIRTH 15 JUN 1928 • Brooklyn,

                     New York, USA

                     He lived with his uncle in Chicago

                     during his younger years (while in

                     high school).  He  would work as a


                     Listed as being alive in 1993.

                     No further information 


Mary Ann Sterling Freligh


BIRTH 28 MAY 1905 • Bello Horizonte,

Minas Gerais, Brazil

DEATH 9 JAN 1949 • Sao Paulo, Sao

Paulo, Brazil

Married: 1924 • Brookline, Massa-

chusetts, USA

James Joseph Enright


BIRTH 20 JUN 1901 • Akron, Summit, Ohio, USA

DEATH 20 JAN 1978 • Akron, Summit, Ohio, USA

Son of James Samuel Enright and Catherine H.


James was married three times, the first to Mary

Ann Freligh in 1924, secondly to Katherine Spiel-

man Herrlinger in 1941. and thirdly to Hazel

Rebecca Ferguson Goldsmith in 1964.




























Acron Beacon Journal, Mon. Jan. 23, 1978  page 17


James  J.  Enright,  76, died January 20,  at Akron

General  Medical  Center.  He  was a  life  resident

of Akron and retired from Firestone International

in 1966  after  42  years  of  service.   James  was a

graduate of M.I.T.

He is survived by his wife, Hazel; daughters, Mrs.

Nancy  Paffenbarger  of  Norwalk,  Oh.  and Doris

Enright of  Las  Vegas,  Nev.; brother, Robert,  of

Lodi; six grandchildren.

Services  Wednesday,  2:30 p.m.  at  the Hummel

Funeral  Home,  3475  Copley  Rd.,  Copley,  Rev.

Wilton  A. Treesh  officiating.   Interment  Green-

lawn Memorial  Park.   Friends   may  call  at  the

Hummel Funeral Home Tuesday, 7 to 9 p.m.
















Nancy Jean Enright


BIRTH 13 JUN 1925 • Akron, Summit, Ohio, USA

DEATH 6 OCT 2010 • Chandler, Maricopa,

Arizona, USA

Married:  7 Jun 1947 • Franklin, Ohio, USA

Divorce: 24 Aug 1970 • Huron County, Ohio, USA

Thomas Link Paffenbarger


BIRTH 23 AUG 1925 • Columbus, Ohio

DEATH Unknown

Thomas married


The News-Messenger (Fremont, Ohio.) 

Fri. Dec. 30, 1966  page 12 


Norwalk, Oh. -- Attorney T. Paffenbarger has

been elected president and John Baltes vice

president of the new Huron County Airport

Authority.  Trustees have approved the hiring

of a secretary-treasurer to serve them on a

part-time basis.




                 Andrew J. Paffenbarger

                      Married: Aug 1985 • Albuquerque,

                      New Mexico, USA

                 Judith A.M. Gillis

                      Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth A.




                      Albuquerque Journal  Sun Feb 3, 1985  page 32

GILLIS, Paffenbarger

                      Announcement of the engagement of Judith A. M. Gillis, 8429 Heights NE,                        to Andrew  J.  Paffenbarger,  1401 Pennsylvania NE,  son of Tom  Paffen-                            barger of Norwalk, Ohio, and Mrs. Nancy Paffenbarger of Culver,  Ind., is                          made by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth A. Gillis of Reading, Mass.  A                            late August wedding is planned in Albuquerque.


Doris "Anne" Enright


BIRTH 21 OCT 1934 • Akron, Summit, Ohio, USA

DEATH 16 OCT 2005 • Las Vegas, Clark, Nevada, USA

Married: 11 Feb 1956 • Aires, Argentina, South America

George Andrew Carlisle III


BIRTH 1 SEP 1932 • Ohio, USA

Son of George Andrew Carlilse Jr. and Julia Smith


                1.  James Carlisle

                2.  Steven Carlisle

                3.  Chris Anthony  Carlisle

                4.  Suzanne Carlisle


The Akron Beacon Journal (Akron, Ohio) 05 Jan 1956, Thu  Page 15

Doris Enright To Wed Lt. George Carlisle 3rd

 A friendship that started in the American High School of Buenos Aries, Argentina, South America, has culminated in the engagement of Doris Enright and Lt. George Andrew Carlilse III.

They will speak their wedding vows on Feb. 11 at the Air Force Base in Malden, Mo.  The future bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Joseph Enright, 324 Castle Blvd, and the bridegroom-to-be is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Andrew Carlilse Jr., 285 Kenilworth Dr.

Miss Enright will be graduating from Miami University, Oxford, Oh., in February,  She is affiliated with Delta Gamma sorority.

Lt. Carlilse took his degree in bachelor of mechanical engineering from Ohio State University where he was a member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity.  He is on leave from General Tire & Rubber Co. while in the Air Force.



Published by Las Vegas Review-Journal on Oct. 21, 2005.

Doris Anne Enright, 71, a teacher, of Las Vegas, died Oct. 16, 2005. She is survived by her sons, Jim and Steve Carlisle, and Chris Anthony; and daughter, Suzanne. Services are pending. Donations can be made to Mojave Adult, Child and Family Services, 4000 E. Charleston Blvd. #B-230, Las Vegas, NV 89104.

Katie Freligh.jpg

Suburbanite Economist (Chicago) Fri. Jan. 16, 1931  page 2

ignez 1.jpg
ignez 2.jpg
John Vass Fisher.jpg
John Vass Fisher 2.png





Thomas Link Paffenbarger

Nancy Jean Enright





Ruland W. Freligh


BIRTH 02 MAR 1908 • Bello Horizonte, Brazil

DEATH 22 SEP 1925 • Brazil

Died at 18 years old

No further information

Cemetery Records:  Cemiterio Do Bonfim, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brasil

Ruland Freligh.png


Transcript from No Beginning-No Ending by Logan Wilson

Taken from


Doherty 1.jpg
Doherty 2.jpg


Doherty 3.jpg

The True Democrat, (St. Francisville, LA)  Sat.  Sep. 24, 1898  page 5

Title:  In Memory of Mrs. Peter Doherty

Mrs Peter Doherty Obit.jpg
Mrs Peter Doherty Obit.jpg

Her maiden name was Cobb, not Mulford. Clarence Mulford was her step-father. Sarah donated the land for St. Mary's Episcopal Church. She was buried in the old Doherty cemetery, which was lost when the cemetery washed into the waters of Bayou Sara.

Her eldest son, Samuel, is the one who relocated to Brazil.


myrtles 2.jfif


Once the property of Peter Doherty's sister -in-law




Handprints in the mirrors, footsteps on the stairs, mysterious smells, vanishing objects, death by poison, hangings, murder and gunfire -- the Myrtles Plantation in the West Feliciana town of St. Francisville, Louisiana, holds the rather dubious record of hosting more ghostly phenomena than just about any other house in the country. But what could be more dubious than the honor itself? That would be the questionable history that has been presented to “explain” why the house is so haunted in the first place.

Long acclaimed as one of the most haunted houses in America, the Myrtles attracts an almost endless stream of visitors each year and many of them come in search of ghosts. There seems to be little doubt about the fact that the house is haunted – it’s the reason that it’s haunted that has been called into question. For several generations, owners and guides at the plantation have been presenting “facts and history” that they know is blatantly false. The Myrtles, according to hundreds of people who have encountered the resident spirits, is indeed haunted, but not for the reasons that we have been told. 

It was a simple check of historical records that revealed the real story. The true story of the Myrtles may not be as glamorous as the story presented by the staff at the plantation, but it is certainly strange. The history of the plantation is filled with death, tragedy and despair, leading us to wonder why a fanciful history was created in its place. 

The Myrtles Plantation was constructed by David Bradford in 1794, and since that time, has allegedly been the scene of at least ten murders. In truth, though, only one person was ever murdered there but, as has been stated already, some of the people who have owned the house have never let the truth stand in the way of a good story. But as the reader will soon discover, the plantation has an unusual history that genuinely did occur, one that may, and likely has, left its own real ghosts behind. 

David Bradford was one of five children born in America to Irish immigrants. In 1777, he purchased a tract of land and a small stone house near Washington County, Pennsylvania. He became a successful attorney, businessman and Deputy Attorney General for the county. His first attempt to marry ended only days before his wedding (no details are known about this) but he later met and married Elizabeth Porter in 1785 and started a family. 

As his family and business grew, Bradford needed a larger home and he built a new one in the town of Washington. The house became well known in the region for its size and remarkable craftsmanship, with a mahogany staircase and woodwork imported from England. Many of the items had to be transported from the East Coast and over the Pennsylvania mountains at great expense. Bradford would use the parlor of the house as an office, where he would meet with his clients.

Unfortunately, he was not able to enjoy his splendid new house for long. In October 1794, he was forced to flee, leaving his family behind. Bradford became involved in the infamous Whiskey Rebellion and legend has it that George Washington placed a price on the man’s head for his role in the affair. The Whiskey Rebellion took place in western Pennsylvania and began as a series of grievances over high prices and taxes forced on those living along the frontier at that time. The complaints eventually erupted into violence when a mob attacked and burned down the home of a local tax collector. In the months that followed, residents resisted a tax that had been placed on whiskey, and while most of the protests were nonviolent, Washington mobilized a militia and sent it in to suppress the rebellion. Once the protests were brought under control, Bradford left the region on the advice of some of the other principals in the affair. 

After leaving Washington, Bradford first went to Pittsburgh. Leaving his family in safety, he traveled down the Ohio River to the Mississippi. He eventually settled at Bayou Sara, near what is now St. Francisville, Louisiana. Bradford was no stranger to this area. He had originally traveled here in 1792 to try and obtain a land grant from Spain. When he returned in 1796, he purchased six hundred acres of land and a year later, built a modest, eight-room home near Baton Rouge that he named “Laurel Grove.” He lived there alone until 1799, when he received a pardon for his role in the Whiskey Rebellion from newly elected President John Adams. He was given the pardon for his assistance in establishing a boundary line, known historically as “Ellicott’s Line,” between Spain and the United States. 

After receiving the pardon, Bradford returned to Pennsylvania to bring his wife and five children back to Louisiana. He brought them to live at Bayou Sarah and they settled into a comfortable life there. Bradford occasionally took in students who wanted to study the law. One of them, Clark Woodrooff, not only earned a law degree but also married his teacher's daughter, Sarah Mathilda. 

Clark Woodrooff at Laurel Grove

Clark Woodrooff was born in Litchfield County, Connecticut, in August 1791. Having no desire to follow in his father's footsteps as a farmer, he left Connecticut at the age of nineteen and sought his fortune on the Mississippi River, ending up in Bayou Sarah. He arrived in 1810, the same year that citizens of the Feliciana Parish rose up in revolt against the Spanish garrison at Baton Rouge. They overthrew the Spanish and then set up a new territory with its capital being St. Francisville. The territory extended from the Mississippi River as far east as the Perdido River, near Mobile, Alabama. 

Still seeking to make his fortune, Woodrooff placed an advertisement in the St. Francisville newspaper, the Time Piece, in the summer of 1811. He informed the public that "an academy would be opening on the first Monday in September for the reception of students." He planned to offer English, grammar, astronomy, geography, elocution, composition, penmanship and Greek and Latin. The academy was apparently short-lived for in 1814, he joined Colonel Hide's cavalry regiment from the Feliciana Parish to fight alongside Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. When the War of 1812 had ended, Woodrooff returned to St. Francisville with the intention of studying law.

He began his studies with Judge David Bradford and soon earned his degree. He also succumbed to the charms of the Bradford daughter, the lovely Sarah Mathilda. Their romance blossomed under the shade of the crape myrtle trees that reportedly gave the home its lasting name. The young couple was married on November 19, 1817 and for their honeymoon, Woodrooff took his new bride to The Hermitage, the Tennessee home of his friend, Andrew Jackson.

After the death of David Bradford, Woodrooff managed Laurel Grove for his mother-in-law, Elizabeth. He expanded the holdings of the plantation and planted about six hundred and fifty acres of indigo and cotton. Together, he and Sarah Mathilda had three children, Cornelia Gale, James, and Mary Octavia. Tragically, their happiness would not last.

On July 21, 1823, Sarah Mathilda died after contracting yellow fever. The disease was spread through a number of epidemics that swept through Louisiana in those days. Hardly a family in the region went untouched by tragedy and despair. Although heartbroken, Woodrooff continued to manage the plantation and to care for his children with help from Elizabeth. But the dark days were not yet over. On July 15, 1824, his only son, James, also died from yellow fever and two months later, in September, Cornelia Gale was also felled by the dreaded disease. 

Woodrooff's life would never be the same but he managed to purchase the farm outright from his mother-in-law. She was quite elderly by this time and was happy to see the place in good hands. She continued to live at Laurel Grove with her son-in-law and granddaughter, Octavia, until her death in 1830. 

After Elizabeth died, Woodrooff turned his attentions away from farming to the practice of law. He and Octavia moved away from Laurel Grove and he left the plantation under the management of a caretaker. He was appointed to a judge's position over District D in Covington, Louisiana, and he served in this capacity until April 1835. On January 1, 1834, he sold Laurel Grove to Ruffin Grey Stirling.

By this time, Woodrooff was living on Rampart Street in New Orleans and had changed the spelling of his last name to "Woodruff." He had also been elected as the president of public works for the city. During this period, Octavia was sent to a finishing school in New Haven, Connecticut, but she returned home to live with her father in 1836. Two years later, she married Colonel Lorenzo Augustus Besancon and moved to his plantation, Oaklawn, five miles north of New Orleans.

In 1840, the Louisiana governor, Isaac Johnson, appointed Woodruff to the newly created office of Auditor of Public Works and he served for one term. Then, at sixty years of age, he retired and moved to Oaklawn to live with Octavia and her husband. He devoted the remainder of his life to the study of chemistry and physics and died on November 25, 1851. He was buried in the Girod Street Cemetery in New Orleans.

Ruffin Grey Stirling and the "Myrtles"

In 1834, Laurel Grove was purchased by Ruffin Grey Stirling. The Stirlings were a wealthy family who owned several plantations on both sides of the Mississippi River. On January 1, Ruffin Grey Stirling and his wife, Mary Catherine Cobb, took over the house, land, buildings and all of the slaves that had been bought from Elizabeth Bradford by her son-in-law. 

Since the Stirlings were leaders in the community, they needed a house befitting their social status. They decided to remodel Laurel Grove. Stirling added a broad central hallway and the entire southern section. The walls of the original house were removed and repositioned to create four large rooms that were used as separate ladies’ and gentlemen's parlors, a formal dining room and a game room. Trips to Europe to purchase fine furnishings resulted in the importation of skilled craftsmen, as well. Elaborate plaster cornices were created for many of the rooms, made from a mixture of clay, Spanish moss and cattle hair. On the outside of the house, Stirling added a 107-foot-long front gallery that was supported by cast-iron posts and railings. The original roof was extended to encompass the new addition, copying the existing dormers to maintain a smooth line. The addition had higher ceilings than the original house, so the second story floor was raised one foot. The completed project nearby doubled the size of David Bradford's house and in keeping with the renovations, the name of the plantation was officially changed to “the Myrtles."

Four years after the completion of the project, Stirling died on July 17, 1854 of consumption, as tuberculosis was called at the time. He left his vast holdings in the care of his wife, Mary Cobb, who most referred to as a remarkable woman. Many other plantation owners stated (rather patronizingly from a twenty-first century point of view) that she "had the business acumen of a man," which was high praise for a woman in those days, and she managed to run all of her farms almost single-handedly for many years.


In spite of this, the family was often visited by tragedy. Of nine children, only four of them lived to be old enough to marry. The oldest son, Lewis, died in the same year as his father. Daughter Sarah Mulford's husband was murdered on the front porch of the house after the Civil War. The war itself wreaked havoc on the Myrtles and on the Stirling family. Many of the family's personal belongings were looted and destroyed by Union soldiers and the wealth that they had accumulated was ultimately in worthless Confederate currency. To make matters worse, Mary Cobb had invested heavily in sugar plantations that had been ravaged by the war. She eventually lost all of her property. She never let the tragedies of the war, and the others that followed, overcome her, however, and she held onto the Myrtles until her death in August 1880. She was buried next to her husband in the family plot at Grace Church in St. Francisville.

On December 5, 1865, Mary Cobb hired William Drew Winter, the husband of her daughter, Sarah Mulford, to act as her agent and attorney and to help her manage the plantation lands. As part of the deal, she gave Sarah and William the Myrtles as their home. 

The Murder of William Winter

William had been born to Captain Samuel Winter and Sarah Bowman on October 28, 1820 in Bath, Maine. Little is known about his early life or how he managed to meet Sarah Mulford Stirling. However, they were married on June 3, 1852 at The Myrtles and together, they had six children, Mary, Sarah, Kate, Ruffin, William and Francis. Kate died from typhoid at the age of three. The Winters first lived at Gantmore plantation, near Clinton, Louisiana, and then bought a plantation on the west side of the Mississippi known as Arbroath. 

Twelve years after the death of Ruffin Stirling, and after the Civil War, William was named as agent and attorney by Mary Stirling to help her with her remaining lands, including Ingleside, Crescent Park, Botany Bay and the Myrtles. In return, Mary gave William the use of The Myrtles as his home. Times were terrible and Winter was unable to hold onto it. By December 1867, he was completely bankrupt and the Myrtles was sold by the U.S. Marshal to the New York Warehouse & Security Company on April 15, 1868. Two years later, however, on April 23, the property was sold back to Mrs. Sarah M. Winter as the heir of her late father, Ruffin G. Stirling. It is unknown just what occurred to cause this reversal of fortune but it seemed as though things were improving for the family once again.

But soon after, tragedy struck the Myrtles once more. According to the January 1871 issue of the Point Coupee Democrat newspaper, Winter was teaching a Sunday school lesson in the gentlemen's parlor of the house when he heard someone approach the house on horseback. After the stranger called out to him, saying that he had some business with him, Winter went out onto the side gallery of the house and was shot. He collapsed onto the porch and died. Those inside of the house, stunned by the sound of gunfire and retreating hoofbeats, hurried outside to find the fallen man. Winter died on January 26, 1871 and was buried the following day in the cemetery at Grace Church. The newspaper reported that a man named E.S. Webber was to stand trial for Winter's murder but no outcome of the case was ever recorded. As far as is known, Winter's killer remains unidentified and unpunished. 

Sarah was devastated by the incident and never remarried. She remained at The Myrtles with her mother and brothers until her death in April 1878 at the age of forty-four. 

The Decline of the Myrtles

After the death of Mary Cobb Stirling in 1880, the Myrtles was purchased by Stephen Stirling, one of her sons. He bought out his brothers but only maintained ownership of the house until March 1886. There are some who say that he squandered what was left of his fortune and lost the plantation in a game of chance but most likely, the place was just too deep in debt for him to hold on to. He sold the Myrtles to Oran D. Brooks, ending his family's ownership. Brooks kept it until January 1889 when, after a series of transfers, it was purchased by Harrison Milton Williams, a Mississippi widower who brought his young son and second wife, Fannie Lintot Haralson, to the house in 1891. 

Injured during the Civil War, in which he served as a fifteen-year-old Confederate cavalry courier, Williams planted cotton and gained a reputation as a hard-working and industrious man. He and his family, which grew to include seven children, kept the Myrtles going during the hard times of the post-war South. But tragedy was soon to strike the Myrtles again. 

During a storm, the Williams' oldest son, Harry, was trying to gather up some stray cattle and fell into the Mississippi and drowned. Shattered with grief, Harrison and Fannie turned over management of the property to their son, Surget Minor Williams. He later married a local girl named Jessie Folkes and provided a home at the Myrtles for his spinster sister and maiden aunt, Katie. Secretly called "the Colonel" behind her back, Katie was a true Southern character. Eccentric and kind, but with a gruff exterior, she kept life interesting at the house for years.

By the 1950s, the property surrounding the house had been divided among the Williams heirs and the house itself was sold to Marjorie Munson, an Oklahoma widow who had been made wealthy by chicken farms. It was at this point, they say, that the ghost stories of the house began. They started innocently enough but soon, what may have been real-life ghostly occurrences took on a "life" of their own.

The Myth of "Chloe" -- the Ghost that Never Existed
There is no question that the most famous ghostly tale of the Myrtles is that of Chloe, the vengeful slave who murdered the wife and two daughters of Clark Woodruff in a fit of jealous anger. Those who have been reading this chapter so far have already guessed that there are some serious flaws in this story but for the sake of being complete, I included the tale here since it has long been told by owners and guides at the house.  

According to the story, the troubles that led to the haunting at the Myrtles began in 1817 when Sarah Mathilda married Clark Woodruff. Sara Matilda had given birth to two daughters and was carrying a third child, when an event took place that still haunts the Myrtles today.

Woodruff had a reputation in the region for integrity with men and with the law, but was also known for being promiscuous. While his wife was pregnant with their third child, he started an intimate relationship with one of his slaves. This particular girl, whose name was Chloe, was a household servant who, while she hated being forced to give in to Woodruff's sexual demands, realized that if she didn't comply, she could be sent to work in the fields, which was the most brutal of the slaves’ work.

Eventually, Woodruff tired of Chloe and chose another girl to force himself on. Chloe feared the worst, sure that she was going to be sent to the fields, and she began eavesdropping on the Woodruff family's private conversations, dreading hearing the mention of her name. One day, the Judge caught her at this and ordered that one of her ears be cut off to teach her a lesson and to put her in her place. After that time, she always wore a green turban around her head to hide the ugly scar that the knife had left behind.

What actually happened next is still unclear. Some claim that what occurred was done so that the family would just get sick and then Chloe could nurse them back to health and earn the judge's gratitude. In this way, she would be safe from ever being sent to the fields. Others say that her motives were not so pure and that what she did was for one reason only: revenge.

For whatever reason, Chloe put a small amount of poison into a birthday cake that was made in honor of the Woodruff's oldest daughter. Mixed in with the flour and sugar was a handful of crushed oleander flowers. The two children, and Sarah Mathilda, each had slices of the poisoned cake but Woodruff didn't eat any of it. Before the end of the day, all of them were very sick. Chloe patiently attended to their needs, never realizing (if it was an accident) that she had given them too much poison. In a matter of hours, all three of them were dead.

The other slaves, perhaps afraid that their owner would punish them also, dragged Chloe from her room and hanged her from a nearby tree. Her body was later cut down, weighted with rocks and thrown into the river. Woodruff closed off the children's dining room, where the party was held, and never allowed it to be used again as long as he lived. Tragically, his life was cut short a few years later by a murderer. To this day, the room where the children were poisoned has never again been used for dining. It is called the game room today.

Since her death, the ghost of Chloe has been reported at the Myrtles and was even accidentally photographed by a past owner. The plantation still sells picture postcards today with the cloudy image of what is purported to be Chloe standing between two of the buildings. The former slave is thought to be the most frequently encountered ghost at the Myrtles. She has often been seen in her green turban, wandering the place at night. Sometimes the cries of children accompany her appearances and at other times, those who are sleeping are startled awake by her face, peering at them from the side of the bed.

I am sure that after reading this story, even the most non-discerning readers have discovered a number of errors and problems with the tale. In fact, there are so many errors that it's difficult to know where to begin. However, to start, it's a shame that the character of Clark Woodruff has been so thoroughly damaged over the years with stories about his adulterous affairs with his slaves and claims that he had one of his lovers mutilated. Sadly, these stories have been accepted as fact, even though no evidence whatsoever exists to say that they are true. In fact, history seems to show that Woodruff was very devoted to his wife and was so distraught over her death that he never remarried. 

Before we get to the problem of Chloe's existence, we should also examine the "murders" of Sarah Mathilda and her two daughters. In this case, the legend has twisted the truth so far that it is unrecognizable. Sarah Mathilda was not murdered. She died tragically from yellow fever (according to historical record) in 1823. Her children, a son and a daughter ---- not two daughters ----- died more than a year after she did. They certainly did not die from the result of a poisoned birthday cake. Also, with this legend, Octavia would not have existed at all (her mother was supposed to have been pregnant when murdered) but we know that she lived with her father, got married, and lived to a ripe old age. In addition, Woodruff was not killed. He died peacefully at his daughter and son-in-law's plantation in 1851.

The key to the legend is, of course, Chloe, the murderous slave. The problem with this is that as far as we can tell, Chloe never existed at all. Not only did she not murder members of the Woodruff family, but it's unlikely that the family ever had a slave by this name. Countless hours have been spent looking through the property records of the Woodruff family, which are still available and on file as public record in St. Francisville, searching for any evidence that Chloe existed. It was a great disappointment to learn that the Woodruffs had never owned a slave, or had any record of a slave, named Chloe, or Cleo, as she appears in some versions of the story. The records list all of the other slaves owned by the Woodruff family but Chloe simply did not exist. 

So how did such a story get started?

In the 1950s, the Myrtles was owned by wealthy widow Marjorie Munson, who heard some of the local stories that had gotten started about odd things happening at the house. Wondering if perhaps the old mansion might be haunted, she asked around and that's when the legend of "Chloe" got its start. According to the granddaughter of Harrison and Fannie Williams, Lucile Lawrason, her aunts used to talk about the ghost of an old woman who haunted the Myrtles and who wore a green bonnet. They often laughed about it and it became a family story. She was never given a name and in fact, the ghost with the green bonnet from the story was described as an older woman, never as a young slave who might have been involved in an affair with the owner of the house. Regardless, someone repeated this story of the Williams' family ghost to Marjorie Munson and she soon penned a song about the ghost of the Myrtles, a woman in a green beret.

As time wore on, the story grew and changed. The Myrtles changed hands several more times and in the 1970s, it was restored again under the ownership of Arlin Dease and Mr. and Mrs. Robert F. Ward. During this period, the story was greatly embellished to include the poison murders and the severed ear. Up until this point, it was largely just a story that was passed on by word of mouth and it received little attention outside of the area. All of that changed when James and Frances Kermeen Myers passed through on a riverboat and decided to purchase the Myrtles. The house came furnished with period antiques and enough ghost stories to attract people from all over the country. 

Soon, the story of the Myrtles was appearing in magazines and books and receiving a warm reception from ghost enthusiasts, who had no idea that what they were hearing was a badly skewed version of the truth. The house appeared in a November 1980 issue of LIFE magazine but the first book that I have found that mentioned the house was by author Richard Winer. Both the magazine article and the Winer book mentioned the poison deaths of Sarah Mathilda and her daughters. 

As time went on and more authors and television crews came calling at the Myrtles, the story changed again and this time, took on even more murders. In addition to the deaths of Sarah Mathilda, her daughters, and Chloe, it was alleged that as many as six other people had been killed in the house. One of them, Lewis Stirling, the oldest son of Ruffin Grey Stirling, was alleged to have been stabbed to death in the house over a gambling debt. However, burial records in St. Francisville state that he died in October 1854 from yellow fever. 
According to the growing legend, three Union soldiers were killed in the house after they broke in and attempted to loot the place. They were allegedly shot to death in the gentlemen's parlor, leaving bloodstains on the floor that refused to be wiped away. One fanciful account has it that years later, after the Myrtles was opened as an inn, a maid was mopping the floor and when she reached the spot where the bloodstains were, she was -- no matter how hard she tried -- unable to clean it.  Supposedly, the spot was the same size as a human body and this was said to have been where one of the Union soldiers fell. The strange phenomenon was said to have lasted for a month and has not occurred since. The only problem with this story is that no soldiers were ever killed in the house. There are no records or evidence to say that there were and in fact, surviving family members denied the story was true. If the ghostly incident occurred, then it must have been caused by something else.

Another murder allegedly occurred in 1927, when a caretaker at the house was supposedly killed during a robbery. Once again, no record exists of this crime and an incident as recent as this would have been widely reported. The only event even close to this, which may have spawned the story, occurred when the brother of Fannie Williams, Eddie Haralson, was living in a small house on the property. He was killed during a robbery, but this did not occur in the main house, as the story states. 

The only verifiable murder to occur at the Myrtles was that of William Drew Winter and it differs wildly from the legends that have been told. As described previously, Winter was lured out of the house by a rider, who shot him to death on the porch. It is here where the stories take a turn for the worse. In the legend, Winter was shot and then, mortally wounded, staggered back into the house, passed through the gentlemen's parlor and the ladies’ parlor and onto the staircase that rises from the central hallway. He then managed to climb just high enough to die in his beloved's arms on the seventeenth step. It has since been claimed that ghostly footsteps have been heard coming into the house, walking to the stairs and then climbing to the seventeenth step where they, of course, come to an end. 

While dramatic, this event never happened either. Winter was indeed murdered on the front porch by an unknown assailant but after being shot, he immediately fell down and died. His bloody trip through the house never took place --- information that was easily found in historical records. 

So, is the Myrtles really haunted? 

There is nothing to say that the Myrtles is not haunted. In fact, I believe that it is. There is no denying that the sheer number of accounts that have been reported and collected here would cause the house to qualify as one of the most haunted sites in the country. However, as you can see from the preceding pages, the house may be haunted, just not for the reasons that have been claimed for so many years. 

In all likelihood, the infamous Chloe never existed and even if she did, historical records prove that Sarah Mathilda and her children were never murdered but died from disease. Instead of ten murders in the house, only one occurred and when William Winter died, he certainly did not stagger up the staircase to die on the seventeenth step, as the stories of his phantom footsteps allegedly bear out. Such tales belong in the realm of fiction, not in the chronicle of one of the alleged “most haunted houses in America.”

The house may really be haunted by the ghost of a woman in a green turban or bonnet. The Williams family had an ongoing tale about her and while it may have been a story that was never meant to be told outside the family, the story spread nonetheless. They admit that while the ghost apparently did exist, no identity was ever given to her. It's also very likely that something unusual was going on at the Myrtles when Marjorie Munson lived there, which led to her seeking answers and to her first introduction to the ghost in the green headdress. Did she see the ghost? Who knows? But many others have claimed that they have.

Frances Myers claimed that she encountered the ghost in the green turban in 1987. She was asleep in one of the downstairs bedrooms when she was awakened suddenly by a black woman wearing a green turban and a long dress. She was standing silently beside the bed, holding a candlestick in her hand. She was so real that the candle even gave off a soft glow. Knowing nothing about ghosts, Myers was terrified and pulled the covers over her head and started screaming. Then she slowly peeked out and reached out a hand to touch the woman, who had never moved, and to her amazement, the apparition vanished. 

Others claim that they have also seen the ghost and in fact, she was purportedly photographed a number of years ago. The resulting image seems to show a woman but it does not fit the description of a young woman like Chloe would have been. In fact, it looks more like the older woman that was described by the Williams family. Could this be the real ghost of the Myrtles?

Even after leaving out the ridiculous stories of the poisonings and Winter's dramatic death on the staircase, the history of the Myrtles is still filled with more than enough trauma and tragedy to cause the place to become haunted. There were a number of deaths in the house from yellow fever alone, and it's certainly possible that any of the deceased might have stayed behind after death. If ghosts stay behind in this world because of unfinished business, there are a number of candidates to be the restless ghosts of the plantation's stories. 

And, if we believe the stories, the place truly is infested by spirits from different periods in the history of the house. There have been many reports of children who are seen playing on the wide verandah, in the hallways and in the rooms. The small boy and girl may be the Woodruff children who, while not poisoned, died within months of each other during one of the many yellow fever epidemics that brought tragedy to the Myrtles. A young girl, with long curly hair and wearing an ankle-length dress, has been seen floating outside the window of the game room, cupping her hands and trying to peer inside through the glass. Is she Cornelia Gale Woodruff or perhaps one of the Stirling children who did not survive until adulthood? 

The grand piano on the first floor plays by itself, usually repeating the same chord over and over again. Sometimes it continues on through the night. When someone comes into the room to investigate the sound, the music stops and will only start again when they leave.

Scores of people have filed strange reports about the house. In recent times, various owners have taken advantage of the Myrtles' infamous reputation and the place is now open to guests for tours and as a haunted bed and breakfast. Rooms are rented in the house and in cottages on the grounds. The plantation has played host to a wide variety of guests, from curiosity-seekers to historians to ghost hunters. Over the years, a number of films and documentaries have also been shot on the ground and many of them have been paranormal in nature.

One film, which was decidedly not paranormal, was a television mini-series remake of The Long Hot Summer, starring Don Johnson, Cybill Shepherd, Ava Gardner, and Jason Robards. A portion of the film was shot at the Myrtles and it was an experience that the cast and crew would not soon forget. One day, the crew moved the furniture in the game room and the dining room for filming and then left. When they returned, they reported that the furniture had all been moved back to its original position. No one was inside either room while the crew was absent. This happened several times, to the crew’s dismay, although they did manage to get the shots they needed. They added that the cast was happy to move on to another set once the filming at the Myrtles was completed.

Employees at the house often get the worst of the events that happen here. They are often exposed, first-hand, to happenings that would have weaker folks running from the place in terror. And some of them do! One employee was hired to greet guests at the front gate each day. One day while he was at work, a woman in a white, old-fashioned dress walked through the gate without speaking to him. She strolled up to the house and vanished through the front door without ever opening it. The gateman quit his job and never returned to the house.

The Myrtles can be a perplexing place. History has shown that many of the stories that have been told about the place, mostly to explain the hauntings, never actually occurred. In spite of this, the house seems to be haunted anyway. The truth seems to be an elusive thing at this grand old plantation house but there seems to be no question for those who have stayed or visited here that it is a spirited place. At the Myrtles Plantation, the ghosts of the past – whoever they might be -- are never very far away from the living.


© Copyright 2002 -2017 by Troy Taylor. All Rights Reserved.
This article would also not exist without the hard work and dedicated research of David Wiseheart.

bottom of page