James Monroe Keith, part of the New Texas group, sought gold and did not choose to stay with the agriculturalists of the McMullen party. A former Texas Ranger and Confederate soldier, Keith briefly remained in Rio, rather than go to Iguape, he then set out on his own into the sertao to find his fortune.
See Keith family page
(Loosely translated from Portuguese)
Great educator in Campinas and Lavras
Charlotte or Carlota Kemper was the third missionary educator sent to Brazil by the Presbyterian Church of the Southern United States (CPSU), after Arianna Henderson and Mary Videau Kirk. She was born in Warrenton, in northern Virginia, not far from Washington, on August 21, 1837, being the granddaughter of a colonel of the Prussian army who emigrated to the United States. Her parents were called William Samuel Kemper and Sarah Humphreys Kemper. Lotty, as he was known to her intimates, received a solid education in her home state, having studied in the cities of Charlottesville and Richmond. In 1847, her father was appointed director of the University of Virginia, created by the great statesman Thomas Jefferson. Of a somewhat introverted temperament, Charlotte was endowed with an intelligence exceptional. She studied algebra, geometry, Latin and Greek language and literature, German, Italian, French, and later Hebrew, as well as piano, guitar, and singing. She experienced the horrors and humiliations of the Civil War. With the defeat of the confederates, all valuable assets of the family were confiscated. An officer from Elmira, New York, in her presence, boxed her piano and sent it to his wife.
She worked as a private teacher and taught in some schools, teaching for twelve years at the Augusta Women's Seminary (later Mary Baldwin College) in Staunton, Virginia. She was strongly influenced by the Dabney family, including the illustrious theologian and professor Robert L. Dabney (1820-1898) and his nephew John W. Dabney (1850-1890), who was a missionary in Brazil.
See Kemper page for the rest of the story
James Lillbourne Kennedy, was born in Strawberry Plains in 1857 and served as a Methodist missionary in Brazil for 54 years. He died in São Paulo in 1952.
REV. JAMES LILLBOURNE KENNEDY was born at Strawberry Plains, Tenn., Dec. 31, 1857. He has been a missionary to Brazil since 1881. He was educated in Wofford and Weaverville Colleges, graduating in 1877 from the latter institution in the State of North Carolina. He entered the ministry of the M. E. Church South in 1878 and offered his services a few years later to the Board of Foreign Missions of that church. He was accepted and appointed to Brazil, sailing March 2, 1881. Two years later he returned to his native land to recuperate from a severe attack of yellow fever. While at home he was married to Miss Jennie Wallace. Jennie passed away in 1912
Rev. James L. Kennedy married secondly on 29 Oct. 1918 in Santa Barbara d'Oeste, SP, Brazil, Daisy Ellis Pyles, daughter of Adomiran Judson Pyles and Josephine Frances MacKnight. Both of whom were children of Confederados They would have one son, Embree Moore Kennedy, BIRTH 27 OCT 1919 • Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil, DEATH 12 JAN 2010 • Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
See Kennedy family page
John Conrad Kennerly was born in Wilkerson County, Mississippi in 1839. His father Samuel Kennerly was born in 1818 in the Barnwell / Orangeburg area of South Carolina. Early on, Samuel and his family had relocated to Wilkerson County, Mississippi and by 1850 (850 Census records) were living in Rapides Parish, Louisiana which is across the Mississippi River from Wilkerson County.
In Louisiana in 1864, John Conrad Kennerly married Elizabeth Ann Hetherwick, the daughter of England-born William J Hetherwick and Mary Matilda Tanner.
After the Civil War, in about 1870, John, Elizabeth, and their family (infant son and daughter) made the move to Brazil. In 1871, their first Brazilian daughter was born, followed by seven more children. Perhaps they were influenced by Elizabeth's sister and brother-in-law - The Rev. Richard Ratcliff who had made the decision to move to Brazil back in 1867. They were part of the Frank McMullen group out of Galveston, Texas
Parson Ratcliff and family had settled in Santa Barbara, d'Oeste and so the Kennerlys followed suit - intermarrying with the many other Confederado families in the area.
See Kennerly family page
Elisa Clark Ruland
(The widow Kerr)
Elisa Clark Ruland Kerr was the sister of Susan Rebecca Ruland, the wife if John Henry Freligh. Her first husband, James Dwight Kerr Jr had died in 1852 in Memphis, Tennessee. Elisa and her two sons, Samuel Charles Kerr and Warwick Stephen Kerr accompanied her on the voyage to Brazil. Elisa would become the fifth wife of Col. Thomas Bannister White, who was already a resident of Brazil. They would have no children.
The widow, Eliza Clark Ruland Kerr set sail to Brazil with the Keye's Family, her sister, Susan Rebecca and her husband, Capt. John H. Freligh, and her two young sons, Samuel and Warwick, all on the S.S. Marmion in April 1867, from New Orleans, LA.
See Kerr family page
JOHN WASHINGTON KEYES was born in Athens, Limestone County, Alabama on November 25, 1825, to George and Nelly Keyes. He attended La Grange College in Alabama starting in January 1842 but was suspended the following year for fighting. He returned home before studying medicine at Louisville, Kentucky, and entering practice with Dr. Welch in Somerville, Alabama. On November 4, 1846
J.W. Keyes married Julia L. Marcellus (1830-8/10/1877 FL), eldest daughter of Prof. Nicholas Marcellus and Caroline Lee Whiting Hentz, in Tuskegee, Macon County, Alabama. The Keyes family immigrated to Brazil in 1867 and returned to the USA in 1871.
He served in Company A, 1st Battalion of Hilliard's Legion at Mobile, and as surgeon of the 17th Alabama Regiment. He also practiced surgery at St. Mary's Hospital in Montgomery and elsewhere. The citizens of Montgomery awarded him a horse for his service.
JOHN WASHINGTON KEYES was born in Athens, Limestone County, Alabama on November 25, 1825 to George and Nelly Keyes. He attended La Grange College in Alabama starting in January 1842 but was suspended the following year for fighting. He returned home before studying medicine at Louisville, Kentucky and entering practice with Dr. Welch in Somerville, Alabama.
On November 4, 1846 J.W. Keyes married Julia L. Marcellus (1830-8/10/1877 FL), eldest daughter of Prof. Nicholas Marcellus and Caroline Lee Whiting Hentz, in Tuskegee, Macon County, Alabama. They had 15 children: Ellen Keyes (m. James Henty), Jennie Keyes (12/26/1852-10/20/1878, m. James F. Davidson), Caroline Whiting Keyes (m. Ole Pickens), Eula Keyes (m. John W. Coachman), Alice Keyes (m. Warren Scott), Julie Keyes (m. Frank Branch), David Rebel Keyes (6/24/1865 Montgomery, m. Elizabeth Stratford 1/30/1895), George Keyes (m. Jessie Hentz), William Keyes, Charles Keyes, Jane Keyes (m. Edward Hubbs), Tilney Keyes, and Anna Lucy Keyes.
After studying (1849) in Cincinnati, in 1850 he was awarded a degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery from the Ohio Dental College, and a Doctor of Medicine from the Medical College of Ohio. He practiced in Florida in the early 1850s, before moving (1857) to Montgomery, Alabama where he practiced dentistry, and occasionally published in dental journals.
He served in Company A, 1st Battalion of Hilliard's Legion at Mobile, and as surgeon of the 17th Alabama Regiment. He also practiced surgery at St. Mary's Hospital in Montgomery and elsewhere. The citizens of Montgomery awarded him a horse for his service. From 1867 to 1873 the Keyes family lived in the Gunter Colony at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, before returning to Montgomery. His daughter, Jenny Rutledge Keyes (ca. 1856-1879) who married James E. Davidson, and an older sister Eula who married Dr. John Coachman. Dr. John W. Keyes of Iola, FL married Miss Marianne Hentz of Alabama on September 18, 1878 at the home of Sr. Samuel J. Withers in Mooresville, Alabama, with Rev. McDonnell performing the marriage (Huntsville Democrat 10/2/1878).
He then moved to Calhoun County, Florida where he grew oranges. Dr. Keyes who was 6' tall and weighted 180 pounds once captured an 8' shark without assistance. J.W. Keyes died on November 27, 1892 near Wewahitchka, Florida.
See Keyes family page.
Reverend J.W. Koger Superintendent of the Methodist Brazil Mission, Married to Francis "Fannie" Selinea Smith. They were both missionaries to Brazil.
Rev. James W. Koger, and his wife, Fannie Smith Koger and their infant son, James W. Koger Jr. They sailed for Brazil as missionaries for the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, April 1881
Rev. Koger was licensed to preach at Spartanburg Station while a student at Wofford College. He graduated in 1878 and was admitted to the Conference that year. He left for Brazil in 1881 and died at his post in Brazil 1886.
After the death of her husband, Fannie and her two young children returned to South Carolina via New York, arriving on October 18, 1886 on board the Advance.
The Watchman and Southron (Sumter, SC) 9 Feb.. Tue. Page 3
Death of a Missionary
The News and Courier of th 8th contains notice of the death of Rev. Jms. Koger, a missionary to Brazil, who died of fever in his missionary field. His death will cause much sorrow to his friends in Sumter County where he was well known. Mrs. Koger is the sister of Rev. A. C. Smith and has a large circle of relatives and friends whose deepest sym-pathies will be felt for the bereaved ones left behind.
The Watchman and Southron (Sumter, SC) 16 Mar. Tue. Page 3
We learn from the S.C. Advocate that Mr. Ira Koger, of Kingstree, has received a letter from Mrs. Jms. W. Koger, wife of the Rev. J. W. Koger, who recently died in Brazil. The letter was written six days after her husband's death. She says he was sick only one week and was delirious several days before he died. Mrs. Koger expresses a wish and deter-mination to remain in Brazil if possible, and assist in carrying on the work in which her husband was engaged at the time of his death.
See Koger family page
John Benjamin Kolb was born on December 6, 1850, in Tamaqua, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, and died on January 13, 1921, in Ponta Grosso, Parana, Brazil of Bronchial-Pneumonia. He had been a Presbyterian missionary since 1884 and served for 34 years. He married Keziah Brevard Gaston who was born on July 1, 1851, in Columbia, Richland County, South Carolina. She died after 1937 in São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil. She worked as a Presbyterian missionary along with her husband. In 1884 in Bahia, Brazil. She was the daughter of Dr. James McFadden Gaston, the leader of the Xiririca colony.
See Gaston family page.
No further information yet
Rev. G. A.
Rev. George Anderson Landes
was born February 7, 1850, in Milroy, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, and married Margareth N. Sheeder. The couple lived in Botucatu/SP for a few years where they founded the Escola Americana (or Botucatuense), later managed by Colégio Mackenzie in São Paulo, and had 10 children, including Phillipe Sheeder Landes (Botucatu/SP, 1883 - São Paulo/SP). , 1966) who was married to Margaret B. Hall, daughter of North American immigrants living in the interior of São Paulo. Phillipe along with his sister Maud Landes was active in the missionary and educational field in the states of Mato Grosso and Mato Grosso do Sul.
See Landes family page
Rev. Edward E.
Rev. Edward Lane, along with his colleague George Nash Morton, was the first missionary sent to Brazil by the Presbyterian Church of the United States (PCUS), the former Church of the South. He arrived in Campinas in 1869 and was the founder of the Presbyterian Church in that city (1870) and of the famous International College (1873), later transferred to Lavras and named Instituto Gammon. After 23 years of outstanding evangelistic and educational work, the selfless Rev. Lane died in 1892 of yellow fever. His eldest son Edward Epes Lane (1873-1962), born in Campinas, after working as a pastor in the United States and serving as a chaplain in World War I, came to Brazil with his wife, Mary Abbott Cook Lane, in 1921. At first, he lived in São Sebastião do Paraíso and in Patrocínio, where he consolidated the Biblical Institute that bears his name (IBEL).
See Lane family page
Not to be confused with Horace Manley Lane
No further information yet
HORACIO (Horace) MANLEY LANE
Horace Manley Lane, baptized Horace Manley Lane, was born on the 29th of July, 1837, in the city of Readfield, Maine, in the United States of America.
Horácio Manley Lane himself defines his childhood in an account made to his friend Rangel Moreira. According to the same, his father imposed on him two obligations: reading the Bible and life in Washington. The worship of God and the Fatherland are two guiding aspects of the life and character of the School's Patron.
About the Bible, Lane defined: “The poetry that emanates from its pages is so intense, so new, so penetrating, that once it reaches our hearts it will never let go, we will never lose it, although we have those always open to the breath of a more human poetry”.
Barely out of adolescence, in 1856, Manley Lane landed in Brazil, when, as soon as he arrived in Rio de Janeiro, where he began teaching at Colégio João Kopke. However, Horacio was soon forced to abandon his educational vocation in order to enter commercial life. A man of unshakable energy, Lane made efforts in the states of Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and São Paulo, achieving success in commercial and agricultural undertakings. Owner of a warehouse of American products, domestic utensils and religious items on Rua Nova do Ouvidor, in the center of Rio de Janeiro.
Lane was a humanist and a great connoisseur of Brazil, in its most unknown places by the vast majority of its inhabitants, even a Brazilianist.
Manley Lane married Ellen Williams, a consortium in which he had the following children: Dr. Fred S. Lane, dentist; Dr. Horacio Manley Lane Junior, MD; Dr. GW Lane, engineer; Ms. Margaret E. Lane; Fanny M. Lane; Dr. Rufus King Lane (who would succeed him as director of Mackenzie); Dr. L. Job Lane, MD; and, Ms. Susane S. Lane.
His wife having died in 1879, he returned with his children to the United States, earning a doctorate in Medicine. After the death of his wife in 1879, he returned to the United States with their five children, to later return to Brazil in 1883.
Although involved in commercial and agricultural activities, Horacio Lane continued to devote part of his time to education. Already a renowned physician and educator by vocation, in 1884, at the request of the Reverend Chamberlain, he took over the direc-tion of the American School, which would later receive the name of the Protestant College,
later Mackenzie College, and later the Mackenzie Institute, an entity of which he was one of the founders.
Two years later he would become president of the institution. His experience at the head of Mackenzie College was unanimously recognized. So much so that in 1890, Bernardino de Campos, president of the State of São Paulo, together with Cezário Motta, secretary of Education, and Caetano de Campos decided to streamline
state public instruction, organizing it along the lines of the modern pedagogy implemented in the American School. At the time, Lane was invited by Cezário Motta to occupy the post of Educational Consultant for Public Teaching, which he readily accepted.
Lane's contribution to public education in the State of São Paulo is immeasur-able and recognized to this day. Horacio was also a member of the Historical Institute of São Paulo.
In spite of the genesis of Mackenzie being Presbyterian, Lane never adopted a sectarian posture, he claimed to be an educator and not a preacher.
At Mackenzie College, education was excellent and the treatment of students could not be more equal. In the words of Horácio Manley Lane, we find one of the most precise definitions of the school at the time:
“This is the only successful mixed school in the entire Empire and so the value and co-education is very strongly emphasized. Girls are more feminine and self-possessed; the most polite and polite boys. Educational and social values cannot be exaggerated by acting on social changes in society here. In our school the baron's son sits on the same bench next to the baron's coachman's son or the baron's gardener. The president's children are confused with the children of immigrants with scholarships and they learn from them, in the same book, that all are equally children of our great Father and that the same Lord died to save them all.”
On October 28, 1912, in the city of São Paulo, the distinguished educator left for the Eternal East. Many were the expressions of grief in his honor. In compliance with his latest provisions, his coffin was carried by employees of his agricultural property and buried in the Protestant Cemetery of São Paulo.
Senator Freitas Valle, in the National Congress, after his death referred to the extinct one as “Great Brazilian”, due to the endless contributions to the educational system. Several honors were awarded to him. The Laboratory Building and the Mackenzie Academic Engineering Center are named after him. In the same institution, a bronze bust was erected in his honor in 1950. Also at the Instituto Presbiteriano Mackenzie, building 3 was named after him, in addition to the Horace Lane Aeronautical Club, and finally, the Horácio Manley Lane State School, in municipality of São Roque.
See Horace Manley Lane page.
No further information yet
Col. George O.
Col. George O Leitner Jr. Birth: 1802, Richland County, South Carolina, USA
Death: May 23, 1869, Bahia, Brazil.
George O. Leitner, son of George Leitner and Elizabeth Smith Turnipseed Leitner, was twice married. 1st marriage was to Martha Elizabeth Owens, d/o Elizha Owens, and Margaret Bell. Children from this marriage were Alice D., George Elisha, Martha Ann, William Zachariah, and Cornelia Elizabeth. 2nd marriage was to Celia Davis Boyd, d/o John Joseph Boyd and Elizabeth Davis Boyd. Children from this marriage were James Gregg, Margaret Jane, Elis P., Benjamin F., Celia F., Wilbur F., Pierce S., Howard B., and Mary Eunice.
Father-in-law of Confedrado Joshua Lucas McGhagin (Margaret Jane Leitner)
Believed he traveled to NY to apply for a passport on 20 May 1867 in preparation to go to Brazil with other Confederates after the loss of the Civil War.
George Leitner, and WS Scofield as interpreters, embarked in Rio for Bahia on 25/09/1867 coming 29th following. In Salvador the vessel "Santa Cruz" followed, 31 to Canavieiras. He went to Jequitinhonha and returned to Sugarcane and there was by canoe to the Rio Pardo following up the Three Waterfalls Sisters. Chandler engineer who accompanied him died on the way, and then Leitner asked to be sent a replacement.
These data and other details can be found in its written proceedings of Finance of Barriers, Rio Pardo, Bahia, June 30, 1862.
The above was translated from Portuguese to English and was originally found at http://www.pibrj.org.br/historia/arquivos/DadosImigracaoAmericana.pdf
Barriers, Rio Pardo, Bahia, June 30, 1862
See Leitner family page
Settled in Santarem, No further information yet, Source LOP
No further information yet